Palace backs review of PH, Kuwait deal for OFW protection

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 20 2019 04:29 PM

MANILA- The agreement for the greater protection of Philippine workers in Kuwait should be reviewed following the death of a Filipina in the Gulf state, Malacañang said Monday.

A call for review surfaced following the brutal death of household service worker Constancia Lago Dayag, 47, in Kuwait.

When asked whether the agreement should be reviewed, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said:" I think we should, because according to [Labor] Secretary [Silvestre] Bello there has been a breach in the agreement signed by the 2 countries."

The Philippines and Kuwait last year signed a memorandum of understanding to provide greater protection for Philippine workers in the Gulf state.

Manila set the agreement with Kuwait as a condition to end its deployment ban to the Gulf state, a move triggered by the string of deaths of Philippine migrant workers in the Gulf state, including Joanna Demafelis, whose body was found in a freezer.

Panelo added Bello is "putting the government in Kuwait to task for the murder of our countryman."

The Department of Foreign Affairs last week said it is coordinating with Kuwaiti authorities in investigating the death of Dayag and has requested for the immediate release of the forensic report.

The agency added that the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait has assigned a lawyer to handle the case.