MANILA - The labor department on Thursday said it is seeking justice for a Filipina migrant worker who suffered a brutal death allegedly at the hands of her employer in Kuwait.
In a statement, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the Kuwaiti government is responsible for the death of Constancia Lago Dayag, a 47-year-old worker from Agadanan, Isabela.
"I am taking the Kuwaiti government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino worker in the hands of her employer in Kuwait," he said.
"Aside from apparent violation of the agreement on the protection of OFWs between our government and Kuwait, there appears to have been a breach of the employment contract by the foreign employer."
Last year, the Philippine government ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait following string of reported deaths and abuses, including Joanna Demafelis, whose body was found in a freezer.
The ban was lifted after the two countries forged a deal to protect Filipino migrant workers in the Gulf state.
Bello said he has ordered the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Kuwait to go after the foreign and local agencies that deployed Dayag.
Citing initial reports, Bello said Dayag was brought to the Al Sabah Hospital on Tuesday night but was declared dead on arrival.
"Her body bore various contusions and hematoma," he said.
Bello hinted that the victim was sexually abused before she died.
Bello condemned Dayag's killing and expressed his condolences to the bereaved family.
"The horrible fate of Ms. Dayag is deeply saddening and utterly condemnable," he said.
"We extend our sympathies to the family of Ms. Dayag, and we shall do everything to find justice for her death."