MANILA—The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday said it is coordinating with Kuwaiti authorities in investigating the death of a Filipina migrant worker.
In a statement, the DFA said it has requested for the immediate release of the forensic report on Constancia Lago Dayag's death, a household service worker who died from contusions and hematoma Tuesday.
The agency added that the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait has assigned a lawyer to handle the case.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Thursday vowed to seek justice for Dayag, saying that the Kuwaiti government is responsible for her death.
"I am taking the Kuwaiti government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino worker in the hands of her employer in Kuwait," he said.
"Aside from apparent violation of the agreement on the protection of OFWs between our government and Kuwait, there appears to have been a breach of the employment contract by the foreign employer."
Dayag, a 47-year-old worker from Agadanan, Isabela, was deployed to Kuwait in January 2016 and returned in 2018 on a second contract with her Kuwaiti employer, according to the DFA.
Last year, the Philippine government ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait following string of reported deaths and abuses, including Joanna Demafelis, whose body was found in a freezer.
The ban was lifted after the two countries forged a deal to protect Filipino migrant workers in the Gulf state.