State of calamity declared in Ompong-hit areas

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 16 2018 05:58 PM | Updated as of Sep 16 2018 09:53 PM

A man stands in front of his flooded home as water rushes in at Purok Bagong Sikat in Brgy. San Roque, La Paz, Tarlac on Sunday. Thousands were affected by heavy flooding as Ompong streaked across several provinces in Central and Northern Luzon on Saturday. Larry M. Piojo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- (UPDATED) Some local government units have declared a state of calamity Sunday due to the damage brought by Typhoon Ompong.

Officials have declared a state of calamity in Cagayan after typhoon Ompong destroyed homes and forced thousands of residents there to flee over the weekend. 

Ompong (international name: Mangkhut) made landfall in Baggao, Cagayan early Saturday as the strongest typhoon to hit the country so far this year, according to the state weather bureau.

Cagayan's provincial government made the announcement over its Facebook Page on Sunday afternoon.

In a press briefing with Malacanang officials Sunday, Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba said as of posting they have yet to record fatalities due to Ompong.

The province of Kalinga has also been placed under a state of calamity.

According to Governor Jocel Baac, agricultural damage caused by the typhoon in the province may reach P1 billion.

There is also one reported casualty from the province.

Meanwhile, the municipality of Mayoyao in Ifugao province, as well as the provinces of Abra and Benguet have also been placed under a state of calamity.

Civil Defense Cordillera and Cordillera Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council chair Ruben Carandang said both Abra and Benguet have declared their area in a state of calamity.

The Sangguniang Bayan of Mayoyao also placed the town under a state of calamity due to the effects of Typhoon Ompong.