MANILA - The ruling Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) on Friday asked President Rodrigo Duterte to finalize its senatorial lineup for the 2019 midterm elections.
"We would like to seek the party chairman's guidance in finalizing the party's senatorial slate," said the party's president Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III.
Duterte attended PDP-Laban's closed-door leadership assembly at the GSIS Financial Center in Pasay City.
In his speech, Pimentel said PDP-Laban will remain independent from big businesses.
"The party has no money, but we have principles. We are not controlled by oligarchs. This party was established for the common man and must be run by the common man. We will not be run by big businesses," he said.
PDP-Laban revealed in August the personalities that may comprise its senatorial slate.
The party's public information committee chief Ron Munsayac shared a photo of a survey form for PDP-Laban's senatorial slate.
Here are the names of the 22 possible senatorial candidates:
1. Sen. Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III
2. Special assistant to the President Christopher "Bong" Go
3. Presidential political adviser Francis Tolentino
4. Davao City Rep. Karlo Nograles
5. Maguindanao Rep. Zajid “Dong” Mangudadatu
6. Makati Rep. Monsour Del Rosario
7. Quirino Rep. Dakila Carlo “Dax” Cua
8. Broadcast journalist Jiggy Manicad
9. Folk singer Freddie Aguilar
Friends of PDP-Laban
1. Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio
2. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
3. Bureau of Corrections Director Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa
4. Actor and former Sen. Lito Lapid
5. Taguig Rep. Pia Cayetano
6. Actor Robin Padilla
7. Former Interior Secretary Rafael "Raffy" Alunan
8. Columnist Ramon Tulfo
1. Sen. Cynthia Villar
2. Sen. JV Ejercito
3. Sen. Sonny Angara
4. Sen. Grace Poe
5. Sen. Nancy Binay
Despite her strong showing in a recent senatorial poll, Duterte-Carpio has said she would seek reelection as Davao City mayor in 2019.