MANILA - The government may need to find a way other than martial law to address the supposed threats of terrorism in some parts of Mindanao, Vice President Leni Robredo said Wednesday following the fatal blast in a Sultan Kudarat town.
Robredo said despite the year-long extension of martial law in Mindanao bombings continue to happen in some areas of the restive south, proving that military rule is not effective in addressing these kinds of problems.
"Merong martial law sa Mindanao pero nakita nating over the past months, hindi ito nagiging hadlang para 'yung karahasan ma-prevent," she said in an ambush interview, citing Tuesday's blast in Isulan town, and last month's fatal blast in Basilan.
(Mindanao is still under martial law but we've seen over the past months that it did not prevent violence in some areas.)
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea earlier said that while the blast in Isulan does not necessarily mean the Palace would again seek the extension of martial law in Mindanao, it may still be "an option" as the recent blasts "are not good signs."
"Ano ang assurance nating pag in-extend ang martial law, talagang mape-prevent ito kung ang pagbabasehan ay 'yung mga nakaraang nangyari. Ipinapakita nang di epektibo ang martial law sa pagsugpo," Robredo said, reacting to Medialdea's pronouncement.
(What's the assurance that martial law will really prevent these kinds of incidents, considering the recent incidents that show martial law is not effective in quelling the threats.)
The explosion in Isulan, which happened on Tuesday night while the town was celebrating a festival, killed 2 persons and wounded 30 more. The police are already on full alert status after the fatal blast.