'Lifestyle check' at PCSO to finish in November: anti-corruption body

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 14 2019 02:25 PM

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-corruption body is set to wrap up its “lifestyle check” on top officials of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office by November, one of its members said Wednesday.

Some 15 top officials of the agency are being investigated, including 10 named by President Duterte, who flagged alleged “massive corruption” there, Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission commissioner Greco Belgica told reporters.

Among those being investigated are former PCSO general manager Alexander Balutan and incumbent board member Sandra Cam, Belgica said.

PCSO general manager Royina Garma also submitted the Statements of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth of the 15 officials.

“She (Garma) submitted 15 SALNs and in the course of the discussion, narinig po namin iyong iba pang mga issues sa mga palaro, mga kulang na pagsusumite ng intrega sa gobyerno, issues ng kontrata, issues ng violations ng IRR (Implementing Rules and Regulations),” Belgica said.

(We also heard other issues in the games, lacking documents and dues, as well as issues on contracts and violations of the IRR.)

Malacañang earlier said President Duterte would name less than 10 PCSO officials involved in corruption “in due time.”

Duterte had accused the PCSO of massive corruption and declared all of its gaming schemes illegal last month. His order prompted authorities to shut down over 30,000 lotto outlets and other gaming kiosks for 4 days.

Lotto operations were allowed to resume after the Palace explained that the numbers game was only dragged into corruption allegations hounding the entire PCSO.

Gaming schemes such as the Peryahan ng Bayan, small town lottery (STL) and Keno, however, remain suspended pending the results of an investigation into alleged corruption.