Less than 10 PCSO officials will be named over corruption: Palace

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 01 2019 06:38 PM

MANILA- Not more than 10 Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) officials will be named by President Rodrigo Duterte over corruption, his spokesman said Thursday.

Duterte mentioned "in passing" his plan on supposed corrupt officials of the agency during a private event on Wednesday, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.

"‘Yun lang sinabi niya (That's all that he said). He did not elaborate on that. Let’s just wait for the announcement of the President,” Panelo told Palace reporters.

Panelo earlier said the President will name everyone involved in the supposed corruption within the PCSO "in due time."

Duterte had accused the PCSO of "massive corruption" and declared all of its gaming schemes illegal last week. His order prompted authorities to shut down over 30,000 lotto outlets and other gaming kiosks over the weekend.

Lotto operations, however, resumed Wednesday after the Palace explained that the numbers game was only dragged into corruption allegations hounding the entire PCSO.

Gaming schemes such as the Peryahan ng Bayan, small town lottery (STL) and Keno, however, remain suspended pending the results of an investigation into allegations of corruption.

Duterte's pronouncement also prompted the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission to conduct a lifestyle check on all members of the PCSO’s board of directors.