Philippines sees record new COVID-19 cases for 3rd straight day

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 01 2020 04:50 PM | Updated as of Aug 01 2020 05:46 PM

A medical personnel wears a new pair of gloves during the swab testing of drivers, riders and partners of Grab at the Quezon Memorial Circle on July 30, 2020. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN

MANILA (UPDATE) - The Philippines on Saturday reported a third day of record-high coronavirus infections at 4,963 new cases, raising the nationwide caseload to 98,232.

The latest figure surpassed the previous record of 3,978 reported Friday as the country confronts a worrying growth in new infections.

In its latest bulletin, the Department of Health (DOH) said the number of people who recovered from the contagious disease climbed by 93 to 65,265.

The country's COVID-19 death toll also edged up to 2,039, with 17 new fatalities recorded.

Latest DOH figures also showed the Philippines had 30,928 active cases, of which 88.9 percent exhibited mild symptoms, 9.2 percent were asymptomatic, 1.1 percent were in severe condition and 0.8 percent were critical.

The top 5 regions and provinces with most new COVID-19 cases were Metro Manila (2,667), Cavite (405), Cebu (355), Laguna (324) and Rizal (252).

The DOH also clarified that 85 duplicates were removed from the total tally, of which 6 were recoveries and 1 fatality. 

"These numbers undergo constant cleaning and validation," it said.

To date, the Philippines has tested 1,398,744 individuals for COVID-19, of which 131,043 were found positive for the virus.

The DOH had previously explained that positive cases would still undergo validation because some may be repeat tests or erroneous entries.

Amid surging coronavirus infections, health workers called on the Philippine government to place Metro Manila anew on a stricter lockdown rule.

“We’re waging a losing battle against COVID-19 and we need to draw up a consolidated, definitive plan of action,” a statement from 40 medical societies read.

They said the country's health care system has been stretched thin, with some hospitals temporarily closing to decongest and health workers falling ill. 

As of this week, more than 4,500 doctors, nurses and other health care workers have contracted COVID-19.

In response to the call of health workers, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte has directed the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 to act on the medical groups' concerns. 

The coronavirus pandemic has sickened 17.6 million people and killed more than 679,000 since it emerged in China last December, according to a running tally from US-based Johns Hopkins University.