Cop who killed troubled ex-soldier in QC may face homicide charge: police


Posted at Apr 23 2020 10:07 PM

MANILA - The police officer who shot dead a former soldier who had post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) at a lockdown checkpoint in Quezon City on Wednesday may face homicide charge, a police official said Thursday.

Police Maj. Elmer Monsalve, chief of the Quezon City Police criminal investigation unit, told radio DZMM that the family of former Private 1st Class Winston Ragos, 34, is keen on filing a criminal complaint against Police Master Sergeant Daniel Florendo Jr., who is now under the custody of authorities.

"Nagkaroon na po kami ng pag-uusap kanina. Ang sabi nga nila (family), may balak talaga [silang] magreklamo," Monsalve told radio DZMM.

(We talked earlier in the day. They said they really plan to file charges.)

"Karapatan po iyun ng isang mamamayan na talagang maghabla pag may nangyaring ganyan," he added.

(That's the right of a citizen, to file a lawsuit if something like that happens.)

Monsalve said Florendo has been disarmed and may undergo inquest -- which determine whether a detainee should be charged in court -- on Friday.

Police said that Ragos had an altercation with police trainees manning a quarantine control point in Maligaya Drive, Barangay Pasong Putik. Police trainees who encountered Ragos then reported the incident to Florendo.

A video clip that circulated on social media showed Florendo with his firearm pointed at the Ragos, ordering the latter to drop down on the ground several times. Several witnesses were heard on the background telling the cops not to shoot the man who was seen unarmed.

Florendo, however, proceeded to shoot Ragos after the latter looked like he was going to get something from his slingbag, which police later said contained a caliber .38 gun.

A witness, however, said the ex-soldier was unarmed during the incident. 

Ragos' family said the soldier developed PTSD after being assigned in Marawi. He was also on vacation in Metro Manila and could not go back to Albay due to the lockdown

The Philippine Army and the Philippine National Police have ordered separate investigations into the incident.