Mayor Belmonte confirms 4th COVID-19 case in Quezon City

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 11 2020 11:46 PM

MANILA - Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Wednesday said another resident of the city tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The city's fourth case is a 27-year-old doctor who contracted the virus while treating a patient with COVID-19 in a hospital outside Quezon City.

Belmonte earlier said three Quezon City residents also tested positive for COVID-19.

Quezon City is home to some 2.9 million people in 2015, making it Metro Manila's most populous area, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority.

The Philippines so far have 49 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 2 fatalities.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday declared a state of public health emergency to arrest the pathogen's spread.

- report from Rafael Bosano, ABS-CBN News