3 of 24 novel coronavirus cases from Quezon City: mayor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 10 2020 07:24 AM | Updated as of Mar 10 2020 09:26 AM

Watch more on iWantTFC

MANILA (UPDATED) — Three of the country's 24 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) are from Quezon City, Mayor Joy Belmonte said Tuesday. 
 
The first patient from Quezon City is a man, 57, who lives in Baler Street and has been confined at a hospital. Authorities have quarantined his family at their home and none of whom have shown COVID-19 symptoms so far, Belmonte told DZMM. 

The patient had no travel history abroad. However, he had visitors from China, the US, and Davao before he got sick. 

The patient also rarely left home in the past 2 weeks because he felt unwell. 

"That's actually good news kasi siguro kaunti lang ang kaniyang napuntahang lugar at nakasalamuhang mga tao. In fact sabi ng mga kapamilya, halos hindi [siya] lumabas ng bahay," Belmonte said. 

The second patient is in his 30s and lives in a condominium unit in Tomas Morato Avenue, that was disinfected Monday on Belmonte's order, she said. The patient is "okay" and currently at a private hospital outside Quezon City, the mayor added. 

Quezon City's third COVID-19 case is from the Project 6 area. Health officials will look for the patient's home because the initial address they got was "not accurate," said Belmonte. 

Quezon City is home to some 2.9 million people in 2015, making it Metro Manila's most populous area, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority.

Metro Manila's 17 mayors will "help each other" trace the individuals who had close contact with COVID-19 patients in the region, she said. 

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday declared a state of public health emergency to arrest the pathogen's spread. 

The respiratory disease has killed nearly 4,000, with more than 110,000 cases recorded in over 100 territories, according to a tally by Agence France-Presse.