Batang Gilas players must deserve spot on World Cup team, coach says | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Batang Gilas players must deserve spot on World Cup team, coach says

Batang Gilas players must deserve spot on World Cup team, coach says

Camille B. Naredo,

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Jan 27, 2019 12:43 PM PHT

Clipboard

Batang Gilas coach Josh Reyes wants the Philippines' young players to earn their spots on the World Cup-bound national team. Handout

MANILA, Philippines—The Batang Gilas players were rightfully hailed on Tuesday following their tremendous performance in the 2018 FIBA Asia Under-16 Championship in China last week, which saw them qualify for the World Cup later this year.

A tight 72-70 triumph over Japan in the quarterfinals was enough to punch the Philippines' ticket to the Under-17 World Cup in Argentina in June.

According to coach Josh Reyes, an assistant coach on both Batang Gilas and Gilas Pilipinas teams, said the "ideal scenario" would be for the current members of the Batang Gilas squad to also be part of the team that will represent the country in the World Cup.

That roster is currently compose of: Rafael Go, Raven Cortez, McLaude Guadana, Jorick Bautista, Terrence Fortea, Kai Sotto, RC Calimag, Joshua Lazaro, Forthsky Padrigao, Yukien Andrada, King Balaga, and Geoff Chiu.

ADVERTISEMENT

"But," Reyes warned, "with two and a half months to go before the World Cup, madami pang pwedeng mangyari."

There are no indications that other players will be called up to the roster, but Reyes wants it known that even those who are currently in the lineup still need to earn their spots to the World Cup team.

"I will tell the boys here that they will still have to deserve their spot. Each and everyone, from 1 to 12, you have to deserve your spot on the team," said Reyes, directly addressing the Batang Gilas players during a press conference Tuesday.

"A pool has to still be formed, but the ideal scenario is that everyone (from the current team) will go to the World Cup," he added. "But you still have to deserve your spot."

The players appeared determined to build on what they achieved in China, as virtually all of them vowed to fight their hearts out for the country come the World Cup.

"Ibibigay namin 'yung best namin, day in and day out," said Padrigao, whose coming-out party for Batang Gilas came in the SEABA under-16 tournament last year. "Anything para sa bayan."

Added Cortez, who along with the towering Sotto formed the young team's fearsome frontline: "Igi-give namin 'yung best namin every game and every practice. Gagawin namin lahat para sa bayan."

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.