Kuala Lumpur fight a done deal? Pacquiao promoter doesn’t think so, report says | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Kuala Lumpur fight a done deal? Pacquiao promoter doesn’t think so, report says
Kuala Lumpur fight a done deal? Pacquiao promoter doesn’t think so, report says
ABS-CBN News
Published Mar 09, 2018 04:56 PM PHT
|
Updated Mar 09, 2018 10:05 PM PHT

Just as Manny Pacquiao announced details of his next fight, his promoter, Bob Arum, said the deal isn't final.
Just as Manny Pacquiao announced details of his next fight, his promoter, Bob Arum, said the deal isn't final.
The Top Rank Inc. CEO added that whoever is behind the proposed bout has yet to prove that staging the bout in Kuala Lumpur is financially viable.
The Top Rank Inc. CEO added that whoever is behind the proposed bout has yet to prove that staging the bout in Kuala Lumpur is financially viable.
"For years we've had these proposals from people in the Mideast, whether it's Abu Dhabi, or the Emirates, or Saudi Arabia, and we're still waiting for the first deposit for the fight to happen," Arum told ESPN.com boxing reporter Dan Rafael in an article posted Thursday night.
"For years we've had these proposals from people in the Mideast, whether it's Abu Dhabi, or the Emirates, or Saudi Arabia, and we're still waiting for the first deposit for the fight to happen," Arum told ESPN.com boxing reporter Dan Rafael in an article posted Thursday night.
"It didn't, so now we've shifted our attention from the Mideast to the Far East and we're looking for Malaysian money."
"It didn't, so now we've shifted our attention from the Mideast to the Far East and we're looking for Malaysian money."
ADVERTISEMENT
This isn't the first time Arum expressed doubt about Pacquiao's plans.
This isn't the first time Arum expressed doubt about Pacquiao's plans.
Last year, when Pacquiao announced he was fighting Amir Khan in the United Arab Emirates, Arum suspected it wouldn't materialize.
Last year, when Pacquiao announced he was fighting Amir Khan in the United Arab Emirates, Arum suspected it wouldn't materialize.
It eventually fell through because the supposed backers couldn't produce the cash necessary to put the event together.
It eventually fell through because the supposed backers couldn't produce the cash necessary to put the event together.
Arum then stepped in to set up Pacquiao versus Jeff Horn in Australia.
Arum then stepped in to set up Pacquiao versus Jeff Horn in Australia.
Arum said that, for Pacquiao-Matthysse to push through in Kuala Lumpur, organizers will have to come up with $15 million with $5 million up front.
Arum said that, for Pacquiao-Matthysse to push through in Kuala Lumpur, organizers will have to come up with $15 million with $5 million up front.
"If the money comes up, then I've agreed to sign on," Arum said.
"If the money comes up, then I've agreed to sign on," Arum said.
"We would handle the logistics, we would handle the undercard and we would handle the television. All they have to do is say they got the $5 million of the $15 million. That makes it legit. [But] I'm not booking my flight [to Malaysia] yet."
"We would handle the logistics, we would handle the undercard and we would handle the television. All they have to do is say they got the $5 million of the $15 million. That makes it legit. [But] I'm not booking my flight [to Malaysia] yet."
But Pacquiao claimed his MP Promotions will handle the logistics instead of Top Rank.
But Pacquiao claimed his MP Promotions will handle the logistics instead of Top Rank.
Pacquiao has said he is taking on Lucas Matthysse of Argentina in Malaysia on June 24, and the agreement is "already final."
Pacquiao has said he is taking on Lucas Matthysse of Argentina in Malaysia on June 24, and the agreement is "already final."
Even Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Matthysse, said the negotiations for proposed bout is still in its “preliminary stage.”
Even Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Matthysse, said the negotiations for proposed bout is still in its “preliminary stage.”
Eric Gomez, Golden Boy Promotions president, admitted that Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz had contacted him about a possible Pacquiao-Matthysse fight.
Eric Gomez, Golden Boy Promotions president, admitted that Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz had contacted him about a possible Pacquiao-Matthysse fight.
"Michael Koncz reached out to me and all we did was talk and that's all I can say," Gomez said.
"Michael Koncz reached out to me and all we did was talk and that's all I can say," Gomez said.
Arum initially pushed for a bout between Pacquiao and Mike Alvarado under the April 14 card that will present Jeff Horn's title defense against Terence Crawford in the main feature.
Arum initially pushed for a bout between Pacquiao and Mike Alvarado under the April 14 card that will present Jeff Horn's title defense against Terence Crawford in the main feature.
Pacquiao was stung by the move to have him in the supporting bout and opted himself out of the card.
Pacquiao was stung by the move to have him in the supporting bout and opted himself out of the card.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT