Gilas Pilipinas still has a long way to go, says Tim Cone | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Gilas Pilipinas still has a long way to go, says Tim Cone

Gilas Pilipinas still has a long way to go, says Tim Cone

Kennedy Caacbay,

ABS-CBN News

Clipboard

Gilas Pilipinas players face the PhilSports Arena crowd after their victory against Chinese Taipei in the 2025 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers. Photo by Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA – Coach Tim Cone is tempering expectations after Gilas Pilipinas' masterful performance in the first window of the 2025 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers.

"I just wanna also say: make no mistake, we have a long ways to go," Cone said after the Nationals' impressive 106-53 triumph against Chinese Taipei on Sunday at the PhilSports Arena.

Not only did Gilas replicate their 94-64 victory against Hong Kong, China on the road last Thursday, but they did so in front of the Filipino faithful in Pasig City.

Cone gave credit to his cogs' defensive mindset as they gifted the home crowd a victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We demanded from everybody that you can't be on this team if you can't play both sides of the ball," Cone stressed.

Chinese Taipei suffered a 29.6 percent shooting in the field compared to Gilas' whopping 55.1 percent and also turned the ball over 16 times.

"You know, we are all offensive stars, but if you're not going to play out defensively, then you're gonna stay on this team very long. And right now we got 12 guys committed to the defensive side, so I'm really proud of this team, so far," he added.

When the dust settled in the first window, Gilas had a combined lead of 83 points in two games — but for the PBA's winningest coach, his troops did not put on a show.

Instead, they only worked hard for the "pretty game" they had against our neighbors up north.

"I mean this was a pretty game tonight, we went out there, we didn't go out there to make a show for everybody. We didn't go out there to show how good we are. We just want to go out there and work. It just turned out that way."

Looking forward, Cone said this victory is only the first step as the Filipino ballers embark on his four-year program for the men's national basketball team.

"But we also realized we have a lot of work ahead of us, and a long ways to go," Cone said.

RELATED VIDEO:

 
 

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.