2 Filipinos remain in critical condition after 'freak accident' in Singapore


Posted at Dec 30 2019 10:05 AM | Updated as of Dec 30 2019 10:37 PM

Watch more on iWantTFC

MANILA (3rd UPDATE) - Two Filipinos remain in critical condition after a car crashed into several people at a popular Singapore shopping center on Sunday, a Philippine official said Monday.

One of the two Filipino victims has been released from the hospital, while the other one is also set to be released Monday night, Minister and Consul General Adrian Candolada of the Philippine Embassy in Singapore said.

Two died on Sunday in the "freak incident" in Lucky Plaza, known to be popular among Filipino domestic workers who gather there during their Sunday day-off, he earlier said.

A cousin of one of the victims said the employers of her cousin have been informed of the incident.

The employers, who are on vacation, expressed shock upon hearing the news.

"Gulat na gulat po sila tapos yung babae hindi makapagsalita ng maayos," she told ABS-CBN News

(They were in shock, and the female employer, she was speechless.)

"On vacation sila, on holiday sila," she added.

(They are on vacation, they are on holiday.)

The Singapore government will shoulder the repatriation of the migrant workers' remains, he added, while the Philippine government would extend all kinds of support and assistance to the families of the other victims.

The embassy, in a statement, conveyed its sympathies to the victims' relatives, whom they said have been informed of the incident.


Candolada also said Singapore's Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan visited the car crash victims at the hospital Monday afternoon.

All families of the victims in the Philippines have also been notified, and the process of repatriation of the workers' remains is ongoing, he added.

In a Facebook post, Balakrishnan extended his sympathies to the family of the victims. He also paid tribute to all household helpers in Singapore.

"As we prepare to welcome the New Year with our families, it is timely to also remember the invaluable contributions of those who help in our households, provide care for our family members, and sacrifice so much in order to provide for their own families far away," he wrote.

He also said the Singaporean government is working closely with the Philippine Embassy to help the families of the victims.

Authorities have arrested the 64-year-old driver, Singapore media reported, while the investigation is ongoing.