Comelec: Many voter applications declined in Makati from 'embo' barangays | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Comelec: Many voter applications declined in Makati from 'embo' barangays

Comelec: Many voter applications declined in Makati from 'embo' barangays

Willard Cheng,

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Nov 06, 2024 07:03 PM PHT

Clipboard

MANILA — Commission on Election (Comelec) chairman George Garcia said Makati’s election registration board has denied numerous applications for registration to become voters in Makati.

This includes many applicants from the “embo” barangays who wanted to transfer voting records to Makati or apply as voters there even if their barangays had been transferred to Taguig’s jurisdiction following a Supreme Court ruling. 

Garcia said about 3,000 applied to become voters in the first district of Makati and some 14,000 in the second district. The commission's investigation showed that the use of barangay certificates as the ID of voter applicants caused the surge.

He then called for legislation that will disallow the use of barangay certification as a means of identification of voter applicants saying this has been “weaponized,” as he pointed out that a Supreme Court ruling has allowed the practice in the absence of a valid government ID.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In fairness sa election registration board, madami silang na-decline na application for registration. So pinag aaralan na namin, anong klaseng kaso ang pwede namin mai-file, anong klaseng mga pagbabago ang dapat na masusog natin within the guidelines ng Comelec para ma prevent ito… kasi ang problema natin massive barangay certification ang in-issue, hindi lang sa Makati madaming lugar sa Pilipinas, na weaponize ang barangay certification,” Garcia said. 

United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) secretary general and lawyer JV Bautista said his group was able to oppose the application of some 3,335 applicants to become voters, mostly in Makati’s 2nd district.

He pointed out that there has been an “unusual”’ increase of 55 percent in the number of new voters in the second district of Makati and 15 percent in the first district, far from the about 5 percent “normal rise” in the voting population.

He called on Comelec to further cleanse the list, pointing out discrepancies in voter applications.

Bautista represents Senator Nancy Binay who is running for Makati mayor under UNA.

“Halimbawa, dalawang daang botante nakatira sa iisang address, alam mo na hindi totoo 'yan. O kaya mayroong limampung botante nakatira pag inimbestiga mo 'yung lugar kung saan sila nakatira —  it happens to be [a] vacant lot, alam mo na na hindi totoo 'yan. It is easily discoverable naman,” he stressed.

“Ok lang naman kung legitimate ang pagkaka-transfer there would be no problem pero kung halimbawa na lipat na sila, doon na sila nagre-reside then somebody facilitates, kasi hindi naman magagawa ng mga ito na lumipat on their own, in thousands e, hindi kaya," he continued.

Bautista believes someone who holds power can possibly be behind the "questionable" surge of voters.

"So ibig sabihin there is somebody orchestrating this. There is somebody who has power, authority and money and who has control of certain LGU officials, particularly barangay chairmen, who can do this, who can orchestrate this," he explained.

A resident of one of the “embo” districts confirmed to ABS-CBN News there was an invitation to apply to remain voters of Makati but declined 

Aling Lorna, an "embo" resident, said she has already accepted becoming a resident of Taguig even if she still wanted to enjoy the benefits of Makati.

“Tanggap na namin po na Taguig kasi mahirap po kasi 'pag palipat-lipat, magulo. Sabi nga ng mga kasama namin gustong-gusto sana namin lumipat,” she shared. 

“Sabi niya pwede naman daw kami lumipat doon, sabi ko naman sir kung lilipat kami doon 'di naman namin kilala ang mga iboboto namin doon. Tapos may mga katulad nyan, mga benefits tapos may mga ayuda, hindi nyo naman kami mai-inform. Hindi katulad dito sa Taguig, nandito na talaga kami. Nag-census na kasi ang Taguig dito agad-agad,” she added. 

In a statement posted on his Facebook page last October 18, Makati 2nd district Rep. Luis Campos said he welcomed the Comelec’s probe on the matter as he urged not to prejudge EMBO residents who wanted to enjoy Makati’s benefits. 

“We welcome the move of Comelec to look into these reports,”  Campos said. 

“Pakiusap ko na sana’y  huwag naman silang agad husgahan. Para sa maraming taga-EMBO, gusto lamang nilang patuloy na matamasa ang mga benepisyo sa Makati na hindi maibigay ng Taguig na nagdulot ng malaking ginhawa sa kanilang buhay," he continued.

“As long as they have complied with existing laws and Comelec regulations, there should be no issue. Unawain natin ang kanilang kalagayan," he added.

GUIDELINES ON SOCIAL MEDIA USE 

Meanwhile, Garcia confirmed agreeing to the suggestion that private individuals should not be required to register their social media accounts for the 2025 elections, following his dialogue with former congressman and now ACT Teachers first nominee Antonio Tinio.

“I will convince the commission to amend certain provision of our guidelines para naman protektado ang karapatan ng mga mamamayan natin lalo na yung mga hindi naman kandidato o kabilang sa mga political parties,” Garcia said.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.