MANILA (2nd UPDATE) — A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck off Batangas on Friday morning, Christmas Day, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said.
The tremor happened at 7:43 a.m., 15 kilometers southwest of Calatagan town. It was tectonic in origin and had a depth of 109 kilometers, according to state seismologists.
Phivolcs earlier reported that the tremor occurred 11 kilometers southwest of the same area and had a depth of 102 kilometers.
No damage is expected but aftershocks may occur, it said.
In the latest bulletin, “strong” shaking or Intensity V was felt at some areas.
Here are the reported intensities:
- Intensity V- Calatagan, Balayan, Nasugbu, Batangas City, Calaca and San Luis, Batangas; Tagaytay City, Amadeo, Indang, Kawit and Alfonso, Cavite; Lubang
- and Looc, Occidental Mindoro; Biñan, Laguna
- Intensity IV -Abra de Ilog and Paluan, Occidental Mindoro; Taal, San Jose, San Pascual, Lemery, Malvar and Ibaan, Batangas; Maragondon and Carmona,
- Cavite; San Pedro, Laguna; City of Manila; Marikina City; Quezon City; Cainta, San Mateo and Antipolo City, Rizal; Pasig City; Las Piñas City; Obando, Malolos,
- and Meycauyan, Bulacan; Subic and San Felipe, Zambales; Alaminos, Pangasinan; Santo Tomas, La Union; City of Mabalacat, Pampanga
- Intensity III - Talisay and Santo Tomas, Batangas; Puerto Galera, Pinamalayan, Naujan, San Teodoro and Calapan, Oriental Mindoro; Caloocan City; Tanay,
- Rizal; San Jose Del Monte City and Plaridel, Bulacan; San Jose City and Gapan City, Nueva Ecija; Cabangan and Iba, Zambales; Samal, Bataan; Floridablanca
- and Santa Ana, Pampanga; Valenzuela City; Malabon City
- Intensity II - San Isidro, Nueva Ecija; Lucban and Guinayangan, Quezon; Doña Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan
- Intensity I- Villasis, Pangasinan; Lucena City, Quezon
Here are the reported instrumental intensities:
- Intensity IV - Bacoor City; Tagaytay City; Carmona, Cavite; Plaridel, Calumpit, San Ildefonso, San Rafael, and Malolos, Bulacan; Guagua, Pampanga; Puerto
- Galera, Oriental Mindoro; Las Piñas City; Navotas City; Paranaque City; Malabon City
- Intensity III - Tagaytay City; Talisay, Batangas; San Jose, Occidental Mindoro; Dagupan City; Quezon City; Pasig City; Muntinlupa City; Marikina City; San Juan
- City; Cabanatuan City; Calapan, Oriental Mindoro
- Intensity II - Roxas, Oriental Mindoro; Lucban, Quezon; Baler, Aurora; Palayan City; San Isidro, Nueva Ecija
- Intensity I - San Jose, Nueva Ecija; Gumaca, Lopez and Lucena City, Quezon
“Kapag ganito po kalalim at ang magnitude ay magnitude 6, malapad po ang makakaramdam nito. … Mayroon naman tayong mga aftershocks na posibleng maramdaman,” Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum told ABS-CBN Teleradyo.
(When the magnitude is this deep, magnitude 6, it could be felt widely. We could also expect aftershocks to be felt.)
The Philippines is situated on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of intense seismic activity that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin.
— With a report from Agence France-Presse