MANILA (UPDATE)— Typhoon Tisoy (international name: Kammuri) kept its strength on Monday as it crept closer to Luzon and threatened the country's hosting of the Southeast Asian Games, the state weather bureau said as it hoisted wind signals under more areas.
Tisoy was 275 kilometers east of Virac, Catanduanes at 7 a.m., packing maximum sustained winds of 150 kilometers per hour and 180 kph gusts, said PAGASA weather specialist Raymond Ordinario.
PAGASA placed raised wind signal no.3 over the following areas, where 121 to 170 kph winds are expected within 18 hours.
- Eastern portion of Camarines Sur (Caramoan, Presentacion, Garchitorena, Lagonoy, Tinambac, Siruma, San Jose, Goa, Tigaon, Ocampo, Sagñay, Buhi, Iriga City, Baao, Nabua, Bato)
- Northern portion of Sorsogon (Donsol, Pilar, Castilla, Sorsogon City, Prieto Diaz, Gubat, Casiguran, Barcelona, Juban, and Magallanes)
The following areas, which may be whipped by 61-120 kph winds, were under Signal no. 2:
- Metro Manila
- Southern Aurora (Dingalan)
- Quezon including Polillo Islands
- Oriental Mindoro, Occidental Mindoro
- Camarines Norte
- Rest of Camarines Sur
- Rest of Sorsogon
- Masbate including Ticao and Burias Islands
- Northern Samar
- Eastern Samar
Of these areas, Metro Manila, Laguna, Cavite and Batangas are home to several venues of the 30th SEA Games.
Meanwhile, the following areas were placed under signal no. 1, which means these may be lashed by 30 to 60 kph winds in 36 hours.
- Southern Isabela (Palanan, Dinapique, San Mariano, San Guillermo, Benito Soliven, Naguilian, Reina Mercedes, Luna, Aurora, Cabatuan, San Mateo, Cauayan City, Alicia, Angadanan, Ramon, San Isidro, Echague, Cordon, Santiago City, Jones and San Agustin)
- Mountain Province
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- Rest of Aurora
- Nueva Ecija
- Calamian Islands
- northern portion of Negros Occidental (Bacolod City, Bago City, Cadiz City, Calatrava, Enrique B. Magalona, Escalante City, La Carlota City, Manapla, Murcia, Pulupandan, Sagay City, Salvador Benedicto, San Carlos City, San Enrique, Silay City, Talisay City, Toboso, Valladolid, Victorias City)
- Northern Cebu (Daanbantayan, Bantayan, Madridejos, Santa Fe, Medellin, Bogo City, San Remigio, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Borbon, Sogod, Catmon, and Asturias)
- Metro Cebu (Balamban, Toledo City, Pinamungahan, Aloguinsan, Naga City, Talisay City, Cordova, Minglanilla, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, Cebu City, Consolacion, Liloan, Compostela, and Danao City)
- Southern Leyte
- Dinagat Islands
- Siargao Island
Occasional heavy rains also will hit Bicol Region, Samar and Biliran provinces until this afternoon, while northern Cebu, northern Negros, Dinagat Islands, Siargao and the rest of Eastern Visayas should expect intermittent heavy rains, said Ordinario.
Tisoy will hit land in Catanduanes, Albay or Sorsogon between Monday night and Tuesday morning, he added.
Malacañang assured the public on Monday that the government is prepared to help areas that would possibly be devastated by the storm with P2 billion in funds and relief goods on standby.
"We ask the public, especially residents who will be affected by the typhoon to stay vigilant, check the latest weather advisory in their respective areas through government social media accounts and coordinate with their local disaster and risk reduction management offices for appropriate and responsive action," Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for the latest weather updates.