30th SEA Games opening set 'bar high' for future hosts: Palace

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 01 2019 05:06 PM

MANILA - Malacañang on Sunday congratulated those behind the 30th Southeast Asian Games opening ceremony for a "job exceedingly well done."

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo cited Singapore's The Straits Times, which he quoted as saying "It took just two hours to wipe away a week's worth of bad headlines."

"The opening ceremony has set the bar high for prospective hosts of international sporting events. For us, this ceremony should remind us that with unity, camaraderie and support, #WeWinAsOne. Cheers!" Panelo said.

"The Palace hopes that this event extraordinaire sets the tone for the handling of the Games until our foreign guests leave the country, bringing with them beautiful memories forever etched in their hearts."

The 30th SEA Games was hounded by criticism last week following transportation, accommodation, and food issues reported by foreign and local delegates, prompting organizers to issue an apology.

President Rodrigo Duterte said he wants an investigation into allegations of incompetence and corruption in relation to the handling of the Games, Panelo earlier said.