MANILA — A private entity that organized the SEA Games said Friday it was "ready" for a typhoon that crept closer to competition venues, following initial problems that had been "settled."
Some outdoor sports could be canceled "for a few hours or one day" during typhoon Kammuri's onslaught, while indoor sports would continue as long as there is power supply, said Philippine Southeast Asian Games Organizing Committee (PHISGOC) chief operating officer Ramon Suzara.
"All competition managers in all sports already prepared a contingency plan, even without this incoming typhoon. Everything's in place... We're ready for this," he told reporters.
The SEA Games cauldron is powered by petrol and will keep burning "unless there's really heavy downpour," he added.
Kammuri will enter the Philippine area this weekend, said state meteorologists. The SEA Games will open on Saturday.
From Tuesday, the storm will bring strong winds and rains to Southern and Central Luzon and Metro Manila, which are all home to SEA Games venues, PAGASA said.
The country's hosting of the regional event was earlier criticized for troubles in the transport and lodging of athletes, inadequate meals, unfinished game venues, and the accreditation of foreign press, among others.
Citing these complaints, President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday that the military could instead handle the SEA Games' logistics next time.
Organizers are "doing our best to strengthen all those early glitches which are very normal in the Games," said Suzara.
"We have settled these with the Chef de Mission 2 days ago when I met with them. Everything has been addressed: transportation, the food," he added.
Malacañang earlier said it would investigate mishaps in the country's fourth hosting of the regional event.
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, chairman of PHISGOC, earlier attributed the problems to budget delays.
For more stories on the SEA Games, visit this page: https://news.abs-cbn.com/seagames2019.