Family of suicide bombers behind attacks in Sulu, military says

RJ Rosalado, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 18 2019 10:00 PM

A family of suicide bombers was responsible for a series of suicide blasts in Sulu this year, a top military official said Monday.

Major General Corleto Vinluan, the commander of 11th Infantry Division and Joint Task Force Sulu, said DNA test results showed the lone female suicide bomber who launched an attack near a military camp in the village of Kajatian in Indanan, Sulu last Sept. 8, was the mother of one of the 3 suicide bombers who were killed in a shootout with government forces in the village of Kan Islam in same town on Nov. 5.

The Egyptian national identified only as Abduramil, who was also killed during the shootout, was also confirmed by Vinluan as the spouse of the female suicide bomber.

“Bale lumalabas na 'yung kasama nung latest noong November 5, 'yung relationship nung dalawa is parang stepson niya, isang pamilya lang sila. Last year niya inasawa yung naunang suicide bomber,” Vinluan said.

Abduramil has a teenager son, who is also in Sulu allegedly helping local bandits.

Abduramil and his son settled in Sulu last 2017 after allegedly training with an ISIS-related group in the Middle East.

Not long after, he met his Filipina wife, who was also connected with the Abu Sayyaf group.

Abduramil allegedly convinced his Filipina wife and his stepson to carry two separate suicide bombing missions.

The first attack happened near a military camp in the village of Kajatian, wherein the woman blew herself up using a vest packed explosives.

The second mission was foiled by the military, after Abduramil, his stepson, and a local bandit was killed in a shootout with government forces in the village of Kan Islam.

“Sa isinagawa ng DNA test ng ating PNP ay tumugma nga po 'yung unang suspect which is a female doon sa pangalawang suicide bomber po natin, yung bata," said Major Arvin John Encinas, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command.

“Yun 'yung lumalabas sa ating investigation na family nga itong mga suspect, dahil ang unang suspect noong nagdaang suicide bombers na isang female at the same time yung pangalawa nga, ay nakita po natin at lumalabas sa ating investigation na iisang family lang po ito," he added.

Encinas said Abduramil’s son is among the five foreign terrorists, including 4 Indonesians, who are being hunted down by the military in Sulu.

Vinluan said based on intelligence reports, the four Indonesians are related to the two suicide bombers who attacked the Jolo Cathedral on Jan. 27 this year, which left 22 persons dead and more than 100 injured.

In the entire Mindanao, at least 50 suspected foreign terrorists are being tracked down by authorities.