MANILA- The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is expected to submit an initial report of its ongoing investigation into the reported ‘Red October’ ouster plot against President Rodrigo Duterte, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Thursday.
Guevarra said the Department of Justice takes the reported ouster plot against the President seriously.
"I have asked the NBI to submit an initial report to me before October sets in… We take this matter seriously, as ‘Red October’ may actually involve the commission of crimes punishable under our penal laws,” Guevarra told ABS-CBN News.
Guevarra said the NBI, an attached agency of the justice department, is gathering information to unmask the personalities behind the reported plot.
“Potential charges will depend on the acts committed; specifically, illegal possession of explosive devices, arson, conspiracy to commit rebellion, inciting to sedition, etc,” Guevarra said.
Military officials earlier said there was a "broad" coalition of communist rebels and critics of the President plotting to oust him next month.
The said coalition includes communist rebels, and critics of Duterte including supporters of ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, and ‘Tindig Pilipinas,’ whose members include leaders of the Liberal Party.
Duterte also previously urged the public to watch out for his critics' supposed move to oust him, which he said would "go into a high gear" in October.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año meanwhile confirmed Wednesday there was “initial recruitment” of soldiers for the ouster plot.
He explained documents were recovered in October last year to prove that ‘Red October’ began as early as 2017.
The Communist Party of the Philippines has denied plotting Duterte's ouster and described the allegation as a "fictional plot."
Leftist lawmakers, the Liberal Party, as well as critics of the President, have also denied plotting Duterte's ouster.