12-year-old is latest fatality from Cebu landslide

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 24 2018 08:49 AM | Updated as of Sep 24 2018 09:26 AM

NAGA, Cebu - Rescuers pulled out the corpse of a 12-year-old boy from mounds of rock and soil at a residential area in this city before dawn on Monday, as the search for survivors entered its fifth day.

The landslide struck Sitio Sindulan, Barangay Tinaan after heavy rains on Thursday morning, burying dozens of houses near a quarry site.

The landslide's death toll stands at 51 as of 6 a.m. Authorities are searching for 43 missing residents, Cebu's disaster office head Baltazar Tribulano told radio DZMM.

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

Some 4,000 residents have fled from their homes after the landslide. This figure may increase after Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu ordered a forced evacuation of residents within the 1-kilometer radius of the landslide site, said Tribulano.

Cebu was not directly hit last week by typhoon Ompong, but has been pounded by heavy monsoon rain for days, making the slopes dangerously loose.

The Cebu landslide came as searchers in the Philippines' north continued to work to recover bodies of dozens of people buried in a landslide unleashed Saturday by Ompong.

Most of the 95 people killed by Ompong died in landslides in the mountainous gold-mining Cordillera region that includes Itogon, Benguet.

Ompong also dumped torrential rains on the key agricultural areas of Luzon, causing crop losses that would likely total some P14 billion.

Typhoon Paeng is moving closer to the northern Philippines and has strengthened on Monday morning, state weather bureau PAGASA said.

- With reports from Leleth Ann Rumaguera, ABS-CBN News; Agence France-Presse