'Ompong' death toll hits 81, expected to rise | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
'Ompong' death toll hits 81, expected to rise
'Ompong' death toll hits 81, expected to rise
Agence France Presse
Published Sep 19, 2018 03:39 PM PHT
|
Updated Sep 20, 2018 12:26 PM PHT

MANILA — The death toll in the Philippines from Typhoon "Ompong" (international name Mangkhut) has climbed to 81 and could hit triple digits as searchers dig through a landslide where dozens are presumed dead, authorities said Wednesday.
MANILA — The death toll in the Philippines from Typhoon "Ompong" (international name Mangkhut) has climbed to 81 and could hit triple digits as searchers dig through a landslide where dozens are presumed dead, authorities said Wednesday.
Ompong swamped farm fields in the nation's agricultural north and smashed houses when it tore through at the weekend with violent winds and heavy rains.
Ompong swamped farm fields in the nation's agricultural north and smashed houses when it tore through at the weekend with violent winds and heavy rains.
Since then the toll has climbed mostly due to the corpses recovered from the massive landslide in the mining town of Itogon where dozens are still believed buried under the mud.
Since then the toll has climbed mostly due to the corpses recovered from the massive landslide in the mining town of Itogon where dozens are still believed buried under the mud.
"From the list I saw 59 people are still missing (at Itogon)," Ricardo Jalad, civil defense chief, told AFP. "If you add that to those already recovered it's possible the toll could top 100."
"From the list I saw 59 people are still missing (at Itogon)," Ricardo Jalad, civil defense chief, told AFP. "If you add that to those already recovered it's possible the toll could top 100."
ADVERTISEMENT
The typhoon, the most powerful to strike this year, also battered Hong Kong and killed four in China's southern province of Guangdong.
The typhoon, the most powerful to strike this year, also battered Hong Kong and killed four in China's southern province of Guangdong.
Searchers at Itogon continued their grim work on Wednesday, digging with shovels and their bare hands in the vast expanse of mud that crushed dwellings used by small-scale miners.
Searchers at Itogon continued their grim work on Wednesday, digging with shovels and their bare hands in the vast expanse of mud that crushed dwellings used by small-scale miners.
The area was primed for disaster before Mangkhut hit, as it came on the heels of nearly a month of continuous monsoon rains that saturated the soil of the already hazardous area.
The area was primed for disaster before Mangkhut hit, as it came on the heels of nearly a month of continuous monsoon rains that saturated the soil of the already hazardous area.
Of the hundreds digging through the debris, many were miners themselves who were looking for friends and relatives, determined to make sure they received a proper burial.
Of the hundreds digging through the debris, many were miners themselves who were looking for friends and relatives, determined to make sure they received a proper burial.
The Philippines's deadliest storm on record is Super Typhoon "Yolanda" (international name Haiyan), which left more than 7,350 people dead or missing across the central Philippines in November 2013.
The Philippines's deadliest storm on record is Super Typhoon "Yolanda" (international name Haiyan), which left more than 7,350 people dead or missing across the central Philippines in November 2013.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT