SC denies Trillanes plea for preliminary injunction

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 11 2018 01:08 PM | Updated as of Sep 11 2018 02:29 PM

MANILA -- (UPDATE) The Supreme Court on Tuesday denied Senator Antonio Trillanes IV's petition for an injunction against the withdrawal of his amnesty over 2 failed uprisings, its spokesman said Tuesday.

The high tribunal said the Makati City court that heard Trillanes' case should decide on the legality of President Rodrigo Duterte's proclamation that voided his amnesty, said court spokeswoman Gleo Guerra.

"Only a trial court, and in certain cases, the Court of Appeals, are triers of facts. Hence, it is appropriate that the Makati RTC's should be given leeway in exercising their concurrent jurisdictions the motions filed by the parties as regards to Proclamation 572," Guerra said.

The high court also ordered Malacanang officials to comment on Trillanes plea within 10 days.

Duterte ordered the nullification of Trillanes' amnesty on Aug. 31, saying there was no proper application and admission of guilt on record.

Trillanes had been holed up in his office since Tuesday last week, saying he could not arrested without a warrant.

The senator had shown videos and papers to prove that he filed for amnesty but the Department of National Defense said last week they were still looking for the missing documents.

Trillanes faced charges of coup d'etat and rebellion before 2 Makati courts and court martial proceedings for allegedly leading failed military uprisings in 2003 and 2007 against then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Both cases were dismissed in 2011 after then President Benigno Aquino III granted him amnesty.

The courts handling Trillanes' case have deferred the Justice Department's request for an arrest warrant against the senator and instead set separate hearings.

The Armed Forces' General Court Martial will wait for the decision of the Supreme Court before proceeding with the case, Armed Forces of the Philippines chief-of-staff Carlito Galvez said Sunday.