'Disenchanted' Gibo rejects Defense post anew | ABS-CBN

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
'Disenchanted' Gibo rejects Defense post anew
'Disenchanted' Gibo rejects Defense post anew
Jamaine Punzalan,
ABS-CBN News
Published Aug 25, 2016 12:47 PM PHT

ANOTHER 'NO'. For a second time, former defense chief Gilberto ''Gibo'' Teodoro refused to return to his old position, President Rodrigo Duterte revealed Thursday.
ANOTHER 'NO'. For a second time, former defense chief Gilberto ''Gibo'' Teodoro refused to return to his old position, President Rodrigo Duterte revealed Thursday.
Duterte said he asked Teodoro on Wednesday night to be the Defense Secretary, but the latter again turned down his offer.
Duterte said he asked Teodoro on Wednesday night to be the Defense Secretary, but the latter again turned down his offer.
"Coming in tonight, I called him and reiterated my offer," Duterte said at a midnight conference in Davao City.
"Coming in tonight, I called him and reiterated my offer," Duterte said at a midnight conference in Davao City.
"Si Gibo, talagang naghugas kamay," he added with a laugh.
"Si Gibo, talagang naghugas kamay," he added with a laugh.
ADVERTISEMENT
Asked if Teodoro may have rejected the offer due to bad experience in the government, Duterte said: "No, not bad... Maybe 'disenchanted' would be the word."
Asked if Teodoro may have rejected the offer due to bad experience in the government, Duterte said: "No, not bad... Maybe 'disenchanted' would be the word."
"You know, he ran for president," the Chief Executive added.
"You know, he ran for president," the Chief Executive added.
Teodoro lost to Duterte’s immediate predecessor, Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III in the 2010 elections.
Teodoro lost to Duterte’s immediate predecessor, Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III in the 2010 elections.
He has not run for any elective position since then, and served instead in the boards of BDO Unibank, the country’s largest lender, and Sagittarius Mines Inc.
He has not run for any elective position since then, and served instead in the boards of BDO Unibank, the country’s largest lender, and Sagittarius Mines Inc.
Meanwhile, current Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also rejected the President's offer to serve as Philippine ambassador to the US.
Meanwhile, current Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also rejected the President's offer to serve as Philippine ambassador to the US.
"He [Lorenzana] was a very good soldier and I got him as my Defense Secretary," Duterte shared.
"He [Lorenzana] was a very good soldier and I got him as my Defense Secretary," Duterte shared.
"Sabi niya, 'Maniwala man akong order mo talaga. Pero alam mo, matanda na ako. Gusto ko, nakabalik nalang rin naman ako dito, gusto ko dito nalang.'"
"Sabi niya, 'Maniwala man akong order mo talaga. Pero alam mo, matanda na ako. Gusto ko, nakabalik nalang rin naman ako dito, gusto ko dito nalang.'"
[He said, 'I believe the order came from you. But you know, I'm already old. I've just returned here (to Philippines), and I want to stay here.]
[He said, 'I believe the order came from you. But you know, I'm already old. I've just returned here (to Philippines), and I want to stay here.]
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT