US defense chief backs return of Balangiga bells to PH | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
US defense chief backs return of Balangiga bells to PH
US defense chief backs return of Balangiga bells to PH
ABS-CBN News
Published Aug 11, 2018 04:26 PM PHT
|
Updated Aug 12, 2018 02:37 AM PHT

MANILA—United States Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Saturday signed documents favoring the return of the Balangiga bells to the Philippines.
MANILA—United States Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Saturday signed documents favoring the return of the Balangiga bells to the Philippines.
According to the Presidential Communications Group, the US Embassy in Manila said Mattis has notified the US Congress that his department "intends to return the Bells of Balangiga to the Philippines."
According to the Presidential Communications Group, the US Embassy in Manila said Mattis has notified the US Congress that his department "intends to return the Bells of Balangiga to the Philippines."
"No specific date has been identified for the return of the Bells. We've received assurances that the Bells will be returned to the Catholic Church and treated with the respect and honor they deserve," the embassy said in a statement.
"No specific date has been identified for the return of the Bells. We've received assurances that the Bells will be returned to the Catholic Church and treated with the respect and honor they deserve," the embassy said in a statement.
In December 2017, US President Donald Trump signed the US National Defense Authorization Act of 2018, which gives Mattis the authority to decide on the return of the Balangiga bells.
In December 2017, US President Donald Trump signed the US National Defense Authorization Act of 2018, which gives Mattis the authority to decide on the return of the Balangiga bells.
ADVERTISEMENT
President Rodrigo Duterte, during his State of the Nation Address last year, called for the return of the 3 church bells taken by the US Army from the town of Balangiga, Eastern Samar as "war booty" in 1901 during the Philippine-American war.
President Rodrigo Duterte, during his State of the Nation Address last year, called for the return of the 3 church bells taken by the US Army from the town of Balangiga, Eastern Samar as "war booty" in 1901 during the Philippine-American war.
The bells remain at an American Air Force base in Wyoming.
The bells remain at an American Air Force base in Wyoming.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT