Bello hits back at critics: I'll see you in court

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 25 2018 06:04 PM | Updated as of Jul 25 2018 06:05 PM

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III attends a media forum in Quezon City on Friday, June 29, 2018. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News


MANILA - Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Wednesday threatened to file charges against his critics who accused him of corruption.

This after a complaint was lodged against Bello before President Rodrigo Duterte's Anti-Corruption Commission for supposedly accepting gifts and demanding bribes. 

“To all of you my detractors, I’ll see you in court,” Bello said during a press briefing Wednesday.

The labor chief also questioned why corruption allegations against him were being brought before Duterte's anti-corruption body and not at the Department of Justice or the Office of the Ombudsman.

Bello had earlier said allegations of corruption against him were aimed at derailing his application to the Ombudsman post or may have been spread by those who want him out as labor chief.

Earlier in the day, recruitment agency owner Amanda Araneta told reporters that she gave Bello P100,000 in cash gift. 

The Cabinet official, she said, later allegedly demanded at least P10 million for the approval of her agency's license. 

Her accusation came a week after a labor group urged Bello to resign for his purported involvement in extortion ploys against employment agencies.

Bello had denied the allegation and dared the accuser to file a case against him instead.

-- with reports from Ron Gagalac and Zen Hernandez, ABS-CBN News