Carpio officially declines chief justice nomination

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 24 2018 04:34 PM | Updated as of Jul 25 2018 04:04 AM

Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA—Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio confirmed Tuesday he has informed the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) that he is declining the nomination for the top magistrate.

"I don't want to benefit from a decision to which I disagreed. I just want to be consistent. Nothing personal," he said in an interview on the sidelines of a book launch in Quezon City.

"I don't mean to lessen the value of the ruling. I abide by that. That's why I am there as chair of the JBC to implement it, to fill up the vacancy." 

Carpio said in an ANC interview last month that he would reject such nominations because he did not want to "benefit" from the ouster of Maria Lourdes Sereno as chief justice through a quo warranto petition, after voting against it. 

Despite his initial pronouncement, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines, through its Board of Governors, endorsed Carpio's nomination.

Carpio, Associate Justices Presbitero Velasco, Jr., Teresita Leonardo-De Castro, Diosdado Peralta, and Lucas Bersamin--the most senior justices of the Supreme Court--have been automatically nominated by the JBC.

They are expected to submit their individual formal acceptance by July 26, the deadline set by the panel for all applications, nominations, as well as for the submission of all documentary requirements. 

President Rodrigo Duterte has 90 days to appoint the next chief justice from June 19, when the high court ruled that Sereno's ouster was final.

Sereno was removed from power for her failure to fully disclose the required statements of assets, liabilities, and net worth when she applied for the chief justice post in 2012. — With report from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News