MANILA -- Three in 5 Filipinos believe that the government should not block international groups looking into deaths under the local anti-narcotics drive, according to an opinion poll released Monday, hours before President Rodrigo Duterte bares his remaining legislative agenda, halfway into his term.
Of 1,200 adults polled from June 22 to 26, 60 percent agreed with the statement that, "the government should not block the investigation of international groups, like the United Nations, into the killing by the Philippine police of so many drug suspects who supposedly fought back," said the Social Weather Stations.
Fifteen percent disagreed while 25 percent were undecided, said the pollster.
Net agreement, which is equal to the percentages of those who agreed minus those who did not, was highest in Mindanao at an "extremely strong" +50, said SWS.
This was followed by "very strong" net scores in Metro Manila at +43, other Luzon areas at +45 and the Visayas at +42, it added.
The pollster classifies a score of +50 and above as "extremely strong," and +30 to +49 as "very strong."
Net agreement that the government should allow international probes was also "very strong" in across all socioeconomic classes, said SWS.
It was highest in the class D or the "masa" at +46, followed by the poorest class E at +45, and class ABC at +37.
By age group, net agreement was highest among 35-44 year olds and 18-24 year olds, at "extremely strong" +52 and +50, respectively, SWS said.
This was followed by "very strong" scores among 25-34 year olds at +48, 55 year olds and above at +45, and 45-54 year olds at +31.
Earlier this month, the United Nations Human Rights Council approved a resolution by Iceland seeking a comprehensive report on the human rights situation in the Philippines, including killings in the government's drug war.
Manila says police have killed 5,000 drug suspects who resisted arrest, rejecting the estimates of rights groups who claim the crackdown has left more than 20,000 dead.
Duterte is facing cases before the International Criminal Court for alleged mass murders and human rights violations under the drug war, his signature initiative launched in 2016. He has withdrawn the country from the treaty that created the ICC.
The President will remain relentless in his anti-narcotics crackdown as he makes his fourth State of the Nation Address Monday afternoon, said Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles.
The SWS survey on the drug war probe had sampling error margins of ±3 percent for national percentages, and ±6 percent each for Metro Manila, Balance Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao. - With a report from Agence France-Presse