NGCP on power restoration: Everything is tentative

Melanie Bingco, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 13 2017 06:36 PM | Updated as of Jul 13 2017 06:44 PM

The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) said there is no definite schedule yet on when power supply will be restored in quake-hit areas in the Visayas.

In a press conference Thursday, NGCP said 4 out of the 6 transformers in Ormoc City in Leyte were damaged by the magnitude 6.5 earthquake last week.

According to NGCP, they are repairing one transformer. Once this is fixed, it will be ready to receive power supply from Cebu.

However, the supply from Cebu will only be available during off-peak hours or from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

NGCP added the most reliable solution would be to transfer two transformers from Compostela Valley and Cebu to replace the broken ones.

The process will take two weeks and is expected to be completed by July 31.

NGCP, however, clarified that they still have to wait for supply from power plants after fixing the problem.

"The solution is incomplete if there is no supply," says Atty. Cynthia Alabanza, Head of Corporate Communication NGCP.

"Lets not count pennies on how much is lost. Our priority is to restore (power supply)," Alabanza added.

Asked if the losses will affect power consumers once power is restored, Alabanza said this will be subject to ERC regulation.