Duterte to sack over 50 Customs officials, employees due to corruption: Palace

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 11 2019 01:28 PM

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte will remove some 50 officials and employees of the Bureau of Customs over alleged corruption in the agency, his spokesman said Thursday.

The looming dismissal was brought about by a complaint to Customs chief Rey Leonardo Guerrero, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.

“Nandiyaan yung corruption, tingnan mo yun sa Customs oh, biglang ubod ng dami,” Panelo said.

(Look at how massive corruption is within the BOC.)

This comes after Duterte ordered Wednesday the “freezing” of several high-ranking Customs officials and employees for “unlawful activities.”

The unnamed Customs officials would be on floating status for the meantime. Panelo also clarified that Customs chief Guerrero is not included in the President’s freezing order.

Panelo also confirmed that the President met with some Customs officials earlier this week but he was not privy to the details of the meeting. The President has repeatedly criticized alleged corruption within the BOC.

In 2018, Duterte said he wanted the Armed Forces of the Philippines to take over the agency after billions of pesos worth of illegal drugs slipped past its watch.