MANILA - The previous administrations of the City of Manila "most likely" benefited from bribes for the operations of illegal vendors in Divisoria, Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko" Moreno said Wednesday.
"Magtataka ka, 6 years hindi maalis. Ba't hindi maalis, meron naman tayo mayor, vice mayor, konsehal, pulis, and so on and so forth. There must be a compelling reason for the government not to act on the situation," Moreno told ANC's Dateline Philippines.
(You will wonder why in 6 years they could not remove illegal vendors. Why not when you have a mayor, vice mayor, councilors, police, and so on and so forth.)
"Most likely. Ayoko maging malisosyo pero we are of age that we understand non-action on this type of problems eh merong nagbebenepisyo. Kung sino ang nagbebenepisyo hindi na natin alam," he said when asked if the bribery had been going on for years.
(Most likely. I don't want to be malicious but we are of age that we understand non-action on this type of problems is because someone benefits. Who benefits, that we don't know.)
Moreno on Tuesday revealed he received an offer of P5 million per day in exchange for allowing illegal vendors in Divisoria amid his crackdown on extortion in the city's bustling thrift market.
The mayor said the next challenge for him will be maintaining the changes he has implemented in Divisoria.
"The next challenge to us can we sustain this? Kapag nabalik yung situation natin before, wag na kayo magisip ng iba pa, ibig sabihin nagkapera ako. Ibig sabihin tumanggap na ako," he said.
"Yun ang point ko. That is a challenge to me personally. And a challenge to the viewers, and those individuals whom I call 'enterprising.' Kaya ba naming i-sustain? That remains to be seen. But now I’m making a simple commitment."