MANILA - The Pangilinan family is waiting for the findings of a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation on the online rape threats against Frankie Pangilinan before taking action, patriarch Sen. Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan said Monday.
The National Bureau of Investigation earlier said that it was looking into a certain Sonny Alcos, whose supposed rape threats against the 19-year-old Pangilinan has since gone viral.
"The DoJ has said they will look into the matter. We will await their next steps while we evaluate our own," Sen. Pangilinan told ABS-CBN News when asked if their family is preparing to file charges against Alcos.
Alcos, in a Facebook post that has been deleted since last week, said he would rape Frankie - a vocal critic of rape culture and victim blaming - had he been a minor who is exempted from incarceration.
The senator, in a separate statement, thanked netizens who rallied behind his daughter, who is actively campaigning against rape culture and victim blaming.
"I am grateful to those who expressed support for Frankie and our family," he said.
"As any regular father, I am worried for her, her safety and her well-being. Nakakagalit at nakakalungkot din na merong mga ganyang tao, merong mga ganyang tatay pa naman," he said.
(It is enraging to know that there are people like that, that there are fathers like that.)
Pangilinan said Frankie continues to receive "private messages from girls and women, telling her of their own sexual assault and trauma and pain."
"Those horrific stories can be traumatic for anyone, even adults, even strong young adults like Frankie," the lawmaker said.
"We will do all we can to try and make a safe space, even in social media, for our children," he said.
Earlier this month, Sen. Pangilinan advised his daughter to protest online after the teen urged him to let her join protests on the streets during the coronavirus crisis.