WATCH: CCTVs capture Resorts World Manila attack


Posted at Jun 07 2017 12:42 PM | Updated as of Jun 07 2017 04:27 PM

MANILA - Resorts World Manila management on Wednesday showed CCTV footage showing the attack of a lone gunman at the popular leisure destination that led to the deaths of 37 civilians.

The footage shown by Resorts World COO Stephen Reilly in a House probe, captured the unfolding of the incident from the entry of the gunman, Jessie Javier Carlos, inside the premises up to the last moments before he allegedly killed himself.

The gunman, as shown in the video, burned casino tables and slot machines before going to a room where he tried to open the doors of a casino cashier's cage. After failing to open the cage, he was able to open an adjacent room where casino chips are stored.

After taking P113 million worth of casino chips, the gunman looked for doors that would lead to his escape but failed to find any. He instead found a stairway going to the hotel rooms where security personnel caught up with him.

Reilly said Carlos was wounded in a brief firefight. He then proceeded to the fifth floor where he found a room and allegedly killed himself.

Reilly said the gunman dropped the bag on the stairway before proceeding to the hotel room.

Resorts World Manila footage also showed their sprinklers working after the gunman torched the gambling tables.

The video also shows guests being evacuated by the personnel of Resorts World Manila as the attack unfolded.

The company stressed that they have 13 fire exits at the 2nd floor, 9 of which are in the gaming area, and that they were able to evacuate up to 12,100 people as fast as 2 minutes to a maximum of 27 minutes.

Reilly said Resorts World Manila has a total of 2,500 CCTV cameras spread over different areas. He said they only showed the videos to answer some of the public's questions.

Lawmakers have requested Resorts Wold Manila to provide them all the CCTV footage from May 31 to June 3 as part of their probe.

Reilly said they are willing to give the lawmakers copies of the CCTV footage but stressed that almost all of their cameras failed 30 minutes after the attack began due to the smoke.