Palace says trash from Hong Kong to be shipped back

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 24 2019 07:43 PM

MANILA- Trash from Hong Kong shipped to Misamis Oriental earlier this year will be returned to the Chinese administrative region, Malacañang said Friday.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said the Bureau of Customs will return the trash shipment declared as "assorted electronic accessories."

"We understand that the BOC would export this illegal shipment back to its port of origin," he said in a statement.

"We call on concerned agencies of the government to continue exercising vigilance and hinder the entry of such shipments of garbage into our territorial jurisdiction at the first instance," he said.

Panelo was referring to the huge container van containing over 25 tons of mixed plastic waste that arrived at Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) in Misamis Oriental last January.

It is the latest in a string of garbage shipments to the Philippines following those from Australia, Canada, and South Korea.

The Customs bureau has released an alert order and warrant of seizure this month over the misdeclaration of the garbage shipment. The agency is currently preparing to return the shipment.

"The Palace reiterates the firm position of the Republic of the Philippines that it will not allow its territory to be treated as a dumping ground for trash by any foreign country or entity," Panelo said.