MANILA - Sen. JV Ejercito said Thursday he was hopeful he would not compete with his brother, former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, in next year's senatorial elections.
Ejercito is a reelectionist while Estrada had said that a return to the Senate would serve as "vindication" after he was freed on bail for plunder charges last year.
"I believe that the Senate is only 24, and we should be representatives of the people, not of the family," Ejercito told ANC's Headstart.
"I am hoping that only one of us would run. I still maintain that principle that we have to give chance to others; not because we are not in good terms," he said.
Ejercito said he was seeking a second term to continue his railway advocacy. He is among 6 reelectionist senators who are part of the so-called "The Force," who while supportive of the administration's key measures, are not included in the slate of President Rodrigo Duterte's PDP-Laban.
His half-brother Estrada was released on bail for plunder and graft charges, which stemmed from allegations he funneled parts of his discretionary funds or "pork barrel" to fake corporations ran by businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles.