10 local officials face negligence rap over Boracay pollution

Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 25 2018 03:04 PM | Updated as of Apr 26 2018 09:55 PM

Boracay island, April 24, 2018, before the six-month closure. Fernando G. Sepe Jr., ABS-CBN News

‪BORACAY ISLAND - At least 10 local officials will face administrative charges over alleged neglect that led to the pollution problem here, which the government hopes to solve with a six-month shutdown starting this week, an interior and local government official said Wednesday.

A complaint for grave neglect of duty will be filed before the Ombudsman against the officials, said Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Assistant Secretary for plans and programs Epimaco Densing III. He did not identify the 10 officials. 

‪“Tapos na drafting ng complaint sheet (The drafting of the complaint sheet is finished) the only reason why we havent filed it yet is because we are authenticating documents and evidence,” he said.‬

‪Nearly 50 illegal pipelines that spewed waste water into the sea were discovered here earlier this month after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered a clean up of Boracay’s “cesspools.”‬

‪Densing said the use of proceeds from environmental fees here would be audited for alleged irregularities.