Cavite has 2 weeks worth of lockdown aid left: governor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 07 2020 08:34 AM | Updated as of Apr 07 2020 08:59 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

Cavite province has only 2 weeks worth of relief aid left for 4.5 million residents, its governor said Tuesday as the national government raised the possibility of extending the month-long lockdown of Luzon. 

Local officials have so far distributed 150,000 food packs in Cavite. They will need P200 million a day to give 3 square meals to all its residents, which is "almost impossible, even if you put all the resources of the local governments together", said Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla.
 
"We have depleted maybe two-thirds of our capacity and we have probably 2 weeks of rations left to give away," he told ANC. 

Asked what would happen once the relief aid funds ran out, he said, "We're gonna have to be creative, we're gonna have to realign some of our funds." 

About 35 percent of the province's residents received forms for the national government's social amelioration program, which would give P5,000 to P8,000 each to 18 million poorest families, said Remulla. 

The governor earlier asked President Rodrigo Duterte to include middle-class families in the social amelioration program after their savings "completely disappeared" in the last 3 weeks. 

Duterte said Monday the suggestion was justified but that the state still had to look for additional funds

The President also said he was "inclined" to extend the Luzon lockdown until April 30

The Philippines as of Monday confirmed 3,660 cases of COVID-19, including 163 deaths and 73 patients who recovered. 

Cavite has a machine for screening for the respiratory disease within 24 hours, which the province aims to start using on Friday or Saturday. The test will prioritize some 960 patients under investigation who have symptoms of the disease, said Remulla.