Rizal Memorial Complex ready to house COVID-19 patients: Galvez

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 06 2020 07:25 PM | Updated as of Apr 06 2020 07:45 PM

The Rizal Memorial Complex. Photo courtesy of BCDA

MANILA - The Rizal Memorial Complex in Manila can start housing coronavirus patients on Wednesday, National COVID-19 Task Force chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said Monday.

The complex has been transformed into a "fully-functional" quarantine facility, with 120 beds prepared for patients, Galvez said.

The facility will be managed by the Department of Health, and the Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Service Command. 

"Masaya kong ibalita sa inyo na ang Rizal Memorial Coliseum ay tapos na po at puwede na pong magsimula ngayon Wednesday," Galvez said in a virtual press briefing.

At least 3 doctors and 50 nurses will be assigned to the facility, which is meant to house COVID-19 patients who have mild symptoms.

Galvez earlier said that patients who will stay in the air-conditioned cubicles at the Rizal Memorial Complex will be given food, WiFi access, aside from the medical treatment.

The government is also converting the Philippine International Convention Center, and World Trade Center, into "fully-functional" quarantine facilities.

Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) President Vince Dizon last week said that the Philippine Arena, the world's largest indoor arena, will serve as a "mega-quarantine" facility that will house possible carriers of COVID-19.