MANILA - The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) said Monday it prepared some P30 billion fund to cover the cost of treatment of all Filipinos who acquires COVID-19 until April 14.
PhilHealth will shoulder everything, including the cost for a COVID-19 patient's pre-existing condition from admission to discharge, according to its president Ricardo Morales.
"One hundred percent, lahat sasagutin ng PhilHealth. That is what the law says. Tinutupad lang natin 'yung utos ng batas," he told radio DZMM.
Morales, however, told the public to remain vigilant against the disease even as Luzon nears the end of its lockdown on April 12.
"PhilHealth would like to provide every Filipino peace of mind during this time. Wag ho kayo mag alala. Kung kayo ho ay nagkasakit ng COVID-19, sasagutin ho kayo ng PhilHealth. Ngunit wag ho kayong pasaway. Kung sinabing wag kayong magkumpol-kumpol at wag lumabas at nagka-COVID kayo baka maubos na ating pondo diyan," he said.
"Staying healthy is a patriotic duty at this time. So we should not be complacent kahit na nasa day 20 plus na tayo ng lockdown. We should remain vigilant."
The agency set a deadline for its coverage of patients until April 14 only because officials expect to manage the disease by then, Morales said.
"Ang funds ng PhilHealth are sufficient but not unlimited. May pondo na 'yung PhilHealth and this has been accumulated over the years. Medyo substantial 'yun," he said.
"Sagot ng PhilHealth up to April 14. By that time maiintidihan na natin 'yung sakit. Ano dapat ang lunas, ang protocol. Alam na natin 'yung gastusin per severity ng disease."
As of Sunday, the country has recorded some 3,246 cases of the respiratory illness, including 152 deaths.
The highest hospital bill PhilHealth has paid for so far was P3.2 million, Morales said.
"Right now there are about 3,000 active cases (and) at 3.2 million each, that’s a little bit over P10 billion. Kaya pa ng PhilHealth 'yan," he said.