LOOK: Safety pin swallowed by 1-year-old boy

Ria Galiste, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 21 2017 08:19 PM | Updated as of Feb 21 2017 08:45 PM

LOOK: Safety pin swallowed by 1-year-old boy 1

VIGAN - A one-year-old boy from the town of Caraisan, Ilocos Sur was hospitalized after swallowing a safety pin.

According to the boy's mother, she did not notice that her son was playing with a safety pin inside their house on Monday afternoon.

Antonette Valle said her son suddenly started crying and complaining that he felt pain in his throat.

LOOK: Safety pin swallowed by 1-year-old boy 2

"Noong pinilit kong buksan yung bibig niya, nakita ko na nasa lalamunan na niya. Iyak ng iyak kahapon. Kapag lumunok siya, ayon umiiyak," Valle said.

(When I opened his mouth and looked inside, I saw that the safety pin was already in his throat. He kept crying yesterday. Whenever he swallowed, he cried.)

They rushed the boy to a hospital where medical workers removed the object from his throat. 

A doctor said that luckily, the wound from the safety pin was not deep and there were no complications. 

The boy, however, still needed to take antibiotics as a precaution against infections. 

Safety experts advise keeping sharp and pointed objects far from the reach of children.