MANILA - The Philippines' top cop on Saturday said the police is willing to cooperate with the International Criminal Court's (ICC) investigation on the country's anti-drug campaign even as he blasted the inquiry as "politically motivated."
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa said the police force is willing to provide the international court with data on the drug crackdown if it so requests.
"Wala kaming tinatago. Malaman nila 'yan kapag mag-iimbestiga sila na hindi pala ito utos ni Presidente, hindi pala ito state-sponsored," Dela Rosa said.
(We are not hiding anything. They will know it when they start investigating and they realize that the President did not order the killings and that they are not state-sponsored.)
The ICC's move stems from the communication filed by Filipino lawyer Jude Sabio in April last year accusing President Rodrigo Duterte and other government officials of committing crimes against humanity in the government’s war on drugs.
The PNP earlier reported that a total of 3,987 drug suspects were killed between July 1, 2016 to January 17, 2018.
The police chief, however, is not keen on full disclosure of government information in the investigation as he expressed doubts on the ICC's intent.
"For all you know, 'yung investigation na 'yan, nagsimula 'yan sa paninira, so politically motivated. Ikaw bigay ka lang ng bigay hanggang papasok ka sa trap nila," he said.
(That investigation began from defamation so that is politically motivated. We'll just keep on giving until we fall in their trap.)
Dela Rosa said the PNP would seek legal help on how to respond to the inquiry as he alleged that the probe aims to topple the Duterte administration.
"We will seek the help of our legal service kung ano dapat (on what should be done)," he said.
The President has previously said that he is unfazed by the international court's examination and that his war on drugs will not stop.