Manila Bay beach cordoned off anew

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 11 2019 08:06 AM | Updated as of Feb 11 2019 08:56 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA - Authorities reinstalled a barrier to prevent people from frolicking in a beach on the capital's iconic Manila Bay on Monday, as the cleanup of its polluted waters entered its second week.

The barrier in front of the US Embassy, first put up last Wednesday, was taken down on Sunday, allowing hundreds of sightseers to venture into the area famous for its view of the sunset.

Orange plastic barriers and caution tape have resealed off the beach, preventing people going down or sitting on the seawall.

Other parts of the Baywalk area were sealed off with 4-foot high fences that still give visitors a view of the sunset.

The cleanup of Manila Bay and surrounding areas started last Jan. 27, following the 6-month rehabilitation of Boracay Island which ended in October last year.

The quality of water off the bay has started to improve while tons of garbage were collected by volunteers and government workers, the environment department said.

Despite these improvements, it is still unsafe to bathe in Manila Bay due to the fecal coliform content of the water, said the agency.

Manila Bay's rehabilitation could take years and is estimated to cost P47 billion, experts earlier said.

Thousands participate in the yearly cleanup of Manila Bay, but the area gets swamped by garbage again during the rainy season.

Report from Lady Vicencio, ABS-CBN News