‘I am lost for words’: Anne Curtis speaks out, as ABS-CBN franchise killed

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 11 2020 01:32 AM

Anne Curtis (seen here with ABS-CBN President and CEO Carlo Katigbak) has been one of the most vocal supporters of ABS-CBN, whose 11,000 employees now face uncertainty after the network's franchise application was denied by Congress on Friday. ABS-CBN.com/ Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA — Local superstar Anne Curtis, an ABS-CBN contract artist for more than 16 years, was among the celebrities who expressed support for the network after its franchise application was denied Friday by Congress.

"I am lost for words," Curtis wrote on Instagram, after the
House legislative franchises committee, in a vote of 70-11, effectively shuttered ABS-CBN's free-TV and radio broadcast permanently.

ABS-CBN had been trying to renew its franchise since 2014, but faced several roadblocks, especially under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, who had repeatedly promised to close it down.

"My heart breaks for everyone that is affected by this, from our bosses to all the employees and the loyal viewers of ABS-CBN," Curtis said.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Anne Curtis (@annecurtissmith) on

The shutdown puts at risk the job security of some 11,000 employees. Every day it is off air, ABS-CBN loses around P35 million, and by August, it may be forced to retrench workers, the company has said.

That's aside from millions of Filipino viewers being deprived of their source of entertainment and information amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"It is indeed a very sad day. I know people won't forget this," Curtis said.

Curtis, 35, has been a Kapamilya since 2004. Prior to her giving birth in March, Curtis regularly co-hosted ABS-CBN's noontime program "It's Showtime," which she has time and again credited for changing her life.

"Maraming salamat sa lahat ng sumuporta at nagdasal.
I stay hopeful that somehow this isn't the end... A big hug to my Kapamilya Family," she wrote.