Angel Locsin: 'Taking ABS-CBN off air amid pandemic doesn't help majority of Filipinos' | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Angel Locsin: 'Taking ABS-CBN off air amid pandemic doesn't help majority of Filipinos'

Angel Locsin: 'Taking ABS-CBN off air amid pandemic doesn't help majority of Filipinos'

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated May 13, 2020 10:23 AM PHT

Clipboard

MANILA -- It's a decision that's going to cost thousands of Filipinos jobs, and could have a significant effect on press freedom.

But in the immediate term, more importantly Angel Locsin argued, the cease-and-desist order issued against ABS-CBN and its free broadcast operations could see the public bearing the consequences during this pandemic.

She was speaking in a #LabanKapamilya Facebook Live discussion this Tuesday -- a continuation from last week -- where she was joined by fellow Kapamilya stars such as Angelica Panganiban and Enchong Dee.

For her part, Locsin began her spiel by explaining how ABS-CBN helps in keeping Filipinos safe and informed, in addition to the entertainment it provides during this anxious time when perhaps many need it.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Hindi lamang po ito makakatulong sa mga manggagawa ng ABS-CBN, kung hindi para po sa mga nag-aabang ng updates, sa entertainment, at sa information," she said.

She continued: "Huwag ho sana nating kalimutan na ang majority dito sa Pilipinas ay wala pa pong access sa mabilis na internet, o internet mismo. Mayroon rin tayong mga kababayan na sa radyo pa po nakadepende, kabilang po diyan ang tatay ko na bulag."

"Alam ko po na mayroon po tayong ibang network, but the more information and the easier access to information for everyone is better. Dahil alam po nating lahat na sa pandemiyang ito, every second counts," she added.

To close, Locsin urged the National Telecommunications Commission to rescind the cease-and-desist order, pleaded for a chance to allow Congress a proper hearing on the network's renewal, and reiterated that "ang pagpapasara po ng network sa gitna ng pandemiya ay hindi po solusyon at hindi po makakatulong sa maraming Pilipino."

Locsin consciously made her points brief because she didn't want to repeat what other artists had already said and the ones she already touched upon in an earlier video, posted on her Facebook.

Locsin has been with the Kapamilya network since 2007. She has been an outspoken supporter of ABS-CBN, especially as challenges to the network's franchise renewal were tackled in the Senate.

She hosted Tuesday night's "#LabanKapamilya" stream, which aims to allow the ABS-CBN's artists an avenue to voice out their opinions, and encourage their fans to support them.

You can view the full video below (Locsin's part is around the 30-minute mark):

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.