Cemex assessing impact of quarrying 'cease and desist order' to production output

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 24 2018 12:01 PM | Updated as of Sep 24 2018 04:25 PM

Workers in a frenzy of activity as the Skyway Stage 3 progresses near Buendia Avenue. Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN

MANILA – Cemex Holdings Philippines (CHP) on Monday said it was assessing the impact of a quarrying suspension to the production output of its subsidiary APO Cement.

APO Land Quarrying Corp (ALQC) holds mining rights in Naga City, Cebu where a landslide left dozens dead last week. ALQC is also the principal supplier of raw materials of CHP's subsidiary APO Cement.

“CHP is now conducting an assessment on the effect of the cease and desist order or raw materials sourced from Naga City and consequently, on the production output of APO Cement,” the statement said.

Cemex earlier disclosed that it had no direct or indirect stake in ALQC.

The Cement Manufacturers Association of the Philippines (CeMAP) meanwhile said it has yet to receive the official DENR order on the suspension of all quarry operations in Regions I,III, IV-A, X, XI and XIII.

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu on Friday suspended quarrying activities in these regions and called for a review of all operations nationwide after fatal landslides in Cebu and Benguet.

Cimatu also suspended some Central Visayas officials of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) due to the incident.

The Mayor of Naga City also ordered all companies and entities doing mining activities to suspend operations, CHP said.