NAIA Consortium not worried over Bulacan Airport project

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 11 2019 10:40 PM

MANILA - The NAIA Consortium is not worried that the approval of the Bulacan airport project will leave the capital's main gateway short of air traffic, the spokesman of the group said on Wednesday.

Consortium spokesman Jimbo Riverente said they are confident that the Philippines' growing economy will bring in enough passengers to NAIA, and the Bulacan and Clark airports. 

"We believe that there's enough traffic in the Philippines to support a multi-airport system," Riverente said. 

The Bulacan International Airport, which was awarded to a unit of San Miguel Corp. last month, is targeted to be completed within 4 to 6 years and will have a yearly capacity of up 100 million passengers.

The proposed rehabilitation of NAIA meanwhile is expected to boost yearly passenger capacity to 47 million from the current 30.5 million in 2 years, and to 64 million in 4 years.

Riverente said the Consortium's proposal will be reviewed by the National Economic and Development Authority's Investment Coordination Committee technical board on Thursday.

If the project hurdles the review, it will go to the NEDA Cabinet Committee for another review, and then the NEDA Board itself. 

Only after these reviews can the Department of Transportation authorize a Swiss challenge for the proposal. 

The Consortium is made up of Aboitiz InfraCapital, AC Infrastructure Holdings Corp, Alliance Global Group, Asia's Emerging Dragon Corp, Filinvest Development Corp, JG Summit Holdings and Metro Pacific Investments Corp.

Riverente, who is also vice president of Aboitiz InfraCapital, said the company is also looking to invest in Laguindingan Airport.

The group's proposal to upgrade the Bohol-Panglao Aiport is currently under review by NEDA. 

- Report from Michelle Ong, ABS-CBN News