After admitting earlier this week that he had personally killed criminals when he was Davao City mayor, President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said there are no records to prove this.
Duterte's admission had earned him another rebuke from the United States and some human rights groups.
"In Davao, I used to do it personally. Just to show to the guys (police) that if I can do it, why can't you," Duterte said in his speech at the presidential palace.
"And I'd go around in Davao with a motorcycle, with a big bike around, and I would just patrol the streets, looking for trouble also. I was really looking for a confrontation so I could kill."
Speaking before the Filipino community in Singapore, Duterte said he had indeed threatened to kill criminals in his city.
“Sinabi ko na if you are here, and if you are into crime, kindly leave Davao. If you destroy Davao, I will kill you. If you are into drugs and destroy our youth, kapag ginawa niyo yang gunggong at marami ang siraulo, and I would hate it and I would kill you. Simple, [just] like that,” Duterte said.
The president, however, said there is no record showing who were killed. He also insisted that threatening to kill someone is not a crime.
“Wala man akong record na sino yung tinamaan, sino yung natumba. Paki-check na lang sa mga funeraria,” he said.
Duterte also took note of the news from major international news channels about his recent admission. He said the news agencies were not wrong.
“In the crawler, yung sa TV, yung tumatakbo, sa CNN at BBC since yesterday, it said Duterte admits killing or shooting the criminals. Hindi sila nagkamali, p****g i*a, papatayin ko talaga ang mga gagong,” Duterte said, triggering laughter from the crowd.